Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Stagnant Pond Water: that's my drinking water!!!! :(

Here is a news article from the local news here in Utah. It was a relief for me to find. The story begins when I noticed on saturday that the water stunk - really bad. Then I took a drink and spit it out. I told my roommate about it - she couldn't tell a difference in how the water tasted. So I figured I was just crazy (lots of people do anyway :) and I went on my merry little way. After that I noticed the smell of the water was the new scent in the house each time we showered or ran the dishwasher. But I still thought I was crazy until my friends tried it and spit it out too. That's when we found this article in the newspaper. Apparently the water is still safe to drink but who would want to when it tastes so bad. Do you think we should be drinking this?
Davis County water may taste bad, but it's OK to drink
April 8th, 2008 @ 12:48pm
Marc Giauque reporting
It was bad this weekend, and water officials say some people living in Davis County may taste the after affects of an algae bloom in their drinking water for a couple of weeks.
People from Bountiful to Kaysville tasted and smelled it. "I thought that it was the mug, I thought it was dirty. I washed it three times. I tried different watter bottles, and I couldn't drink it. And I was worried because I use it for cooking, I use it for everything, and it just tasted awful," Davis County resident Scoti Lang said.
Lang described the taste as "chemical-ish." Others say it tasted and smelled like a stagnant pond.
Turns out the Weber Basin Water District says it was due to an unusually early algae bloom on the Weber River. It peaked over the weekend, prompting complaints to water companies in numerous cities.
Water officials say the stuff was always safe to drink, just not necessarily so tasty. Weber Basin says its addressing the problem, but a bit of the taste could linger in some areas for the next couple of weeks.

3 comments:

Alycia said...

That's interesting that you found that article - I actually only noticed the smell because we (thankfully) have a Pur water filter on our faucet and I drink that. I asked Tyson if he noticed that the water smelled like mildew and he didn't seem to notice - anyway - the stagnant pond is a better word to describe it - yuck - thank goodness for water filters!

The Hiller Family said...

I don't drink it thankfully! Yikes! I'm with Alycia... thank you filters! Speaking of... we've been in our house 6 months now because our filter just alerted me it needs to be replaced! Just in time! I'll let you know if you smell bad from showering in it!

Sherie Berie said...

I think it is time for you to get a filter for your shower...at least now you will have an excuse why you stink!