Sunday, April 26, 2009

Sunday Happenings


I love being home on Sundays, spending time after church enjoying the weather and being with my brothers and roommates. This is what our afternoon was:

Stuart helping with the meal - he makes the best chocolate pudding


Chelsey spent the entire afternoon like this, and enjoyed every minute of it

Gotta make that rice


Our basement dweller #1 - on the phone with family i think?
(I'm basement dweller #2)

Eating - notice the goblets. Mom never really liked me to set the table growing up because I always used the fancy plates and goblets. They just make me happy. My local thrift store supplies me with many of them :)


After a great fireside given by Bronco Mendenhal, BYU's Football coach, we came home and had some ice-cream with chopped up strawberries, chopped with my handy-chopper (we'll call it Barb).


I laugh every time I use this, to think that I've had this since I was sixteen. I dreamt my whole childhood that grandma would get me a barbie doll like she gave all the other granddaughters. I was the youngest granddaughter and apparently was never mature enough to handle a barbie, so I got stuffed animals....I hated stuffed animals. Then one Christmas my dreams finally came unexpectedly true - grandma got me a barbie (the Malibu barbie). Except it was no longer my dream to get a barbie, I was sixteen years old that year and was pretty embarrassed to have gotten a barbie, so I hid it under the couch. Lots of people told me I should keep it, but I was too embarrassed, so I took it back to the store and traded if for my handy-chopper, which has been a faithful sidekick for 11 years now. Unfortunately my sixteen year old embarrassment has turned into a family joke, especially with grandma, who gives me nothing but Barbie related items for birthdays and Christmas now. Even when I left the country for 18 months, she kept a plastic storage bin to store each Christmas and birthday present in. My return home was spent opening up what would be a little girls barbie dream. I keep it in storage for future kids to use.

3 comments:

The Hiller Family said...

You secretly LOVE Barbie so much you can hardly stand it! You have a birthday coming up you know and I'm in the mood to buy lots of cute girly stuff... Luckily, the barbies will be for you and not my little one yet! He he he :)

Sally said...

i totally remember that birthday! i remember my mom trying to comfort you about that barbie... but i never knew what you did with it. well, i'm glad barb makes you happy now.
and you know, with your latest collection, we could return to our barbie dissecting days... they were fun, even though that was just our excuse to still play with barbies then!

Timmy said...

Serena, you little crazy girl. We miss you and are so glad you have a job. We can get you a barbie if you like :) Maybe then you would come over and play with lulu and I.
:)