Friday, March 5, 2010

It's time...Now go get your thumb green!!!!









Every year, I want so badly to plant my garden using plants that I have grown by seed. The sad thing is that most of my experiments in doing this have ended poorly. I've learned though! In the past I would use dirt from the garden...apparently your baby seedlings need more nutrients than regular dirt, so this year I planted them in seedling starter mix. Also, I've always planted them in egg cartons....which dry up too quickly and make you tend the plants more than you want....this year I spent $4.50 and purchased a plastic container with planters, a bottom for the water to rest in and a lid. I didn't realize the importance of a lid, I always thought the plants needed to breath more than that, but putting a lid on keeps moisture in, meaning you are watering less. Last mistake I've always made is how I was watering the seedlings...by putting them under the sink and getting them wet...this year, as to not disturb the seeds or the dirt, I'm using a spray bottle, getting a fine mist to soak the plants.
Like I said, each year this is an experiment but I'm really keeping my fingers crossed for this year. Also, I'm trying a few new plants: Tomatillo's being one of them! And I'm finally going to start an herb garden for indoors....my pantry's been emptied out of some of the essentials, like oregano, and it's high time I replace them, besides, after looking at the price of good spices, and I'm not talking about the cheapo ones, you can't beat spending a dollar for a packet of seeds that will make plants that will replenish your herb supply on their own!
I planted peas on March 2nd and can you believe that spinach could already have been planted in February! Next week I will be planting spinach along with several different types of lettuce, kale, Swiss chard, broccoli, Kohlrabi (apparently it's delicious and easy to grow...another experiment), and cabbage. I'm crossing my fingers that the house I'm living in doesn't sell....I'd be so sad to plant all of this just to give it all away to the new house owners.

3 comments:

The Hiller Family said...

no kidding... planting it for someone else would stink... therefore, that is why we are not planting one this year... all that work for someone else to eat it! Blah!
OR... YOU could buy our house and start your garden here BEFORE we leave!!!! :) You could have roommates and everything... plus, they will be paying YOU for the rent! :)
OR talk to Mom and Dad and have them buy our house and Mom could even weed for yoU! :) he he

Matt and Melissa said...

I am ready to plant too! Unfortantly my garden is under at least a foot of snow. I wanted to do the indoor garden thing but am worried about my boys messing with it. That is so cool that you are trying so many new plants. Your so adventurous! Let me know how it works.
p.s. congrats on the mo tab thing!

Yomama said...

Mistress Beaner, quite the queener,
I hope your garden grows! I just love the energy I feel from you via your blog posts! Keep it up, Chica!
Love you - Karla