Thursday, December 11, 2008

Impossible Dream - Brian Stokes Mitchell

If any of you ever come out to Utah during the Holiday Season, you will be missing out if you don't go to the Mormon Tabernacle Christmas Concert. The concert takes place every year and there is always a special guest singer. Occasionally there is a speacial guest in addition to the singer who has an amazing speaking voice who will read a christmas story accompanied to music. This year the guest singer is Brian Stokes Mitchell and the guest speaker/reader is actor Edward Herrmann. In addition, the Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings with the Orchestra on Temple Square and lately with the Bells on Temple Square, a new favorite of mine. They are having 80 additional bell ringers joining the Bells on Temple Square this year and i'm dying to go. The music makes the hair on my arms stand up and is so beautiful. I looked up Briam Mitchell to see what his voice sounded like and how it would sound with the choir. I was lucky to stumble across this song, where he is already singing with them. Now I am in love with this song. I never considered how this sing related to Christ - I don't know anything about Man from La Mancha, the story or why they sing this song in the play/movie, but the words are so meaningful to me - if I could pick a theme song for what I wish I could do in my life, this would be it for sure. My favorite line in relation to christmas is, "This is my quest, to follow that star, no matter how hopeless, no matter how far" - I pray that as the Wise Men followed the star that lead to the baby Jesus, that we will consider how to follow the light of Christ in each day of our lives and to make that our quest!

4 comments:

Yorgasons said...

I was in Man of la Mancha in High school! It is an interesting Musical! That is the best song in the show! My brother played Don Quijote and my Dad cried when he sang that song! Its beautiful! Hey do you think you can email me your address now!? Love ya!

Marci Ward said...

Serena,
You are still such an example of faith to me. Thanks for always being such a spiritual leader. You are amazing and I miss you!
Marci

Nancy said...

Wow!!! That was beautiful!! It gave me goosebumps. That is my goal too..maybe we can go there together!!!! Love you. Mom

Anonymous said...

Serena, you're so good. Thanks for being my dear friend and sorta sister! I love you!